Genie has been a leading name in garage door opening systems since 1954; in fact introducing the first ever mass produced, radio controlled opener intended for residential use in that year. Its flagship design, the screw drive opening system was first introduced in 1958 and remains the market leader right up to the present day. In 1954, the screw drive was considered an innovation—machined out of one piece of solid steel, fewer moving parts in the drive resulted in greater durability and quiet operation with maximum speed and lift.
The Modern Genie Garage Door Opener
Genie has in recent years diversified their product line, continuing with the screw drive pioneer model, enhanced with up to date features such as “Intelli-code” (technology which changes the access code each time the remote unit is activated), and the “Safe-T Beam” infrared, twin beam system that detects obstructions, objects, pets and people and stops the door’s operation. The new, innovative Direct Drive Screw TriloG 1200 and 1500 screw drive models of Genie garage door openers includes the above mentioned features as well as the following:
- ¾ HPc 140 Volt DC motor (TriloG 1200) or 1HPc (TriloG 1500)
- Opening speed of 10.0 inches per second (TriloG 1200) or 12 inches/sec (TriloG 1500)
- Integrated motion detector
- Two 100 Watt bulb lighting system.
- Pre-assembled rail.
- Lightweight power head facilitates one person installation
- SmartSet push button programming
- Auto Seek Dual Frequency: automatic search of 315/390 MHz frequency for remote regardless nearby frequency interference.
- Genie Sense™ Monitoring and Diagnostic Technology
Genie has branched out from its original screw drive technology to embrace chain and belt technology with its IntelliG 1200 model. Incorporating the same AutoSeek Dual Frequency, GenieSense monitoring and diagnostic technology, Intellicode and Safe-T Beam features as well as adding the following:
- A powerful 3/4 HPc Power Plus motor
- 140V DC motor plugs into a standard home outlet.
- Maximum opening speed of 9.0 inches per second
- Integrated motion detector provides added
- Two 100 Watt bulb lighting system.
- Pre-assembled rail
- Push button programming
- Choice of belt or chain drive
For those looking for a lower cost option, Genie also offers the ReliaG 800 model. This compact unit packs power, life and quiet operation into a more compact unit. Features of the ReliaG include:
- A powerful 1/2 HPc* Power Plus DC motor.
- Safely lifts sectional doors up to 500 lbs. and eight feet high.
- Two-light maximum 120 watts system
- Wall console and 3-button remote included.
- Opening speed up to 7.0 inches/second with belt drive. Chain drive also available.
- Soft start/stop
- Intellicode® 1 Access Security System
- 10-year limited motor warranty
Installing Genie Garage Door Openers
Genie prides itself and has built its reputation on being friendly to the DIY-er, and the TriloG product line is particularly recommended as installable by one person with minimal tools. The IntelliG and ReliaG are generally recommended to be dealer installed by Genie itself, due to larger power head size and multi-part rail systems, however both of these model lines are still a manageable for a one personal to install. Very detailed and thorough installation manuals are available for all the model lines listed above, and are available for online reading and download. It is highly recommended that a potential purchaser check out this resource before deciding which model to buy and which installation method best matches their DIY experience.
Whichever option you choose, self or dealer installed, Genie has an enviable nearly 60 year history of being the market leader in garage door opening systems and is well worth your time to check out. Look for online ratings by actual users at sites such as Amazon.com to get a better feel for the product, its features and ease of installation, as well as any negative issues you won’t find on the manufacturer’s website!